The language we use as church leaders has the potential to shape the culture of our church because it frames peoples thinking. Often the language we use when we launch a new ministry can set it on an unintended course simply through the way we’ve helped people understand it. Here are some negative language patterns I’ve seen present in multisite churches over the years. Avoid these patterns to give your vision the best chance to thrive!
- Us vs. Them // It’s dangerous to start referring to the various campuses of your church as “them” because it’s starts to set up emotional walls and separates the team.
- Avoid: “They broke some more gear again this weekend.”
- Alternative: “We continue to have gear breaking at our campus in Springfield.”
- Mothership, Headquarters, etc. // Don’t treat your original location with extra reverence through some sort of extra special name. What if you always referred to one of your kids as “The Good Son”?
- Avoid: “Our next leadership development event is back at the mothership.”
- Alternative: “The training next month is at our Ritson Road Campus.”
- North, East, South, West Campus Names // When people arrive at a new location and find out that this location is the “West Campus of Cool Community Church” there is a subtle message that the real thing is east of here! Also this naming scheme limits the number of campuses … surely you’re not going to have the North North East Campus!
- Avoid: “Are you going to join us as the West Campus when it launches?”
- Alternative: “We’d love to have you join the Stoney Creek Campus this fall!”
- Unnecessarily calling out technology // If you use video to deliver the teaching at your campuses there is no need to always point that out to people. It would be like 15 years ago standing up and saying “In just a few minutes Pastor Mike is going to use a microphone and stand on a stage with lights.” We’re past the place where you need to call out the technology.
- Avoid: “Today our teaching is coming in via live video stream from our Chatham Campus.”
- Alternative: “Pastor Mike is kicking off a brand new series today!”
Get the FREE three-part video series designed to help your church launch more multisite campuses.Is your church thinking about launching new multisite campuses? Have you already launched a campus or two but are stuck getting the next locations launched? Are you ready to take the next steps in your multisite expansion but aren’t sure where to start? I’m releasing a FREE three-part video series designed to help your church reach more people through multisite church expansion. The lessons in this series come from my practical experience being in the driver’s seat for 13 launches and from helping many other churches like yours! Here is what we’ll be covering in the free video series:
- Video #1: The Biggest Mistake Churches Make When Launching Campuses. Build an approach to launching locations that avoids this mistake, and your church will scale up to reach more people!
- Video #2: Keys to Picking a Great Location for Your Next Campus. Apply the lessons in this video and you’ll find effective locations that will aid your church’s growth for years to come!
- Video #3: 5 Dirty Secrets of the Multisite Church Movement. Finally, get an insider’s look at the underbelly of this movement to better inform your leadership as you move forward!