Releasing Volunteer Staff to Increase Your Church’s Impact with Jeremy Jernigan
Welcome back to the unSeminary podcast. Today we’re talking with Lead Pastor Jeremy Jernigan from Abundant Life Church in Portland, Oregon.
Every church out there would like to engage more people, but it’s tough when you’re working with finite resources. Listen in as Jeremy talks about the limits Abundant Life Church encountered when it came to hiring, and how it forced them to get creative about empowering more volunteers to do ministry.
- Opportunities for volunteers. // Churches don’t have unlimited budgets, nor the ability to hire new people for every need in the organization. This challenge forced the staff at Abundant Life to get creative, and they took a close look at the opportunities that could be given to volunteers. This led to the creation of a system with four different levels of volunteer commitment and responsibility. Level one, for example, gives people the opportunity to try out serving and see how they like it. They don’t have to agree with the church doctrine or be a believer and there isn’t a ton riding on it. Levels two and three have increasing levels of commitment and responsibility and it’s important the volunteers’ beliefs align with the church’s. Finally, level four has the highest level of commitment and responsibility and belongs to Volunteer Staff.
- Volunteer Staff. // If there is a seasoned leader who has made it to level three and is pouring into others, and helping the church to do the ministry, they may be approached with a Volunteer Staff job offer. These volunteer positions are considered staff in every way – they have job descriptions, staff emails, access to databases, are required to attend staff meetings, and have an office where they can work. They have the same onboarding experience as other staff, attend the staff Christmas party and even have staff evaluations. The only difference is they don’t collect a paycheck. Rather than apply for these positions, the staff at Abundant Life creates them when they see someone with the right potential, or when they see a need that they believe someone is uniquely qualified to fill.
- Look for untapped potential. // One huge area of untapped potential at your church may be in your retired leaders. Retired individuals may have more time for a role like a staff volunteer, which requires ten hours of work a week at Abundant Life Church. These individuals may have had amazing careers that give them a wealth of expertise and experience in an area that could help the church. Jeremy has found that volunteer staff love having a seat at the table and are honored that the church is elevating their roles.
- Create key positions. // In addition to exponentially multiplying the ministry that Abundant Life has been able to do, volunteer staff have also brought a certain energy and excitement with them because they are volunteering their time and skills to something they are deeply passionate about. In turn, this positive attitude boosts morale for the whole staff. Don’t create a volunteer staff position that is for small tasks on the side, but rather seek people who bring unique skillsets and experiences that could be key in helping the church.
- Volunteer policy document. // We have a free download Jeremy has offered to our listeners which explains the volunteer policy and levels used at Abundant Life. The document talks about positions needed in the volunteer system as well as what to look for in filling those needs.
Thank You for Tuning In!
There are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, but you chose unSeminary, and I’m grateful for that. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it by using the social media buttons you see at the left hand side of this page. Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and you can bet that I read every single one of them personally!
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
Thank You to This Episode’s Sponsor: Ministry Grid
Ministry Grid makes it simple to train every volunteer and leader in your church. With a library of over 3,500 videos and 850 courses, you will find training for every ministry area and leadership level.